Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Snickers Cravings

According to all doctors, internet websites, and my fancy calculator I am officially in the second trimester. I was really expecting over sized shiny balloons to fall from the ceiling and a burst of confetti but I settled for the satisfaction of knowing I made it through 1/3 of the pregnancy. As I was searching through the various websites and discovering all the new and exciting message boards I realized something unique. So far I have not had any cravings, strange or normal. I was totally looking forward to sending my husband out at a crazy hour in the morning to fetch me some off the wall concoction that most people would turn green over. Granted, I understand it is still early on but it seems everyone else has already experienced this craziness. Maybe I am the lucky one that really has no desire for this amount of craziness. I know it is something my family has been waiting for since I was about 6 years old. Now you are curious why my insane family would be waiting for such an odd memo for over 20 years.

When I was 6ish I would have these unbelievable cravings for a Snickers candy bar. I would wake up from a dead sleep, go up to my father, and it the cutest most adorable face I could muster up would say "Daddy, I want a Snickers". It was as if I was waving a magic wand that put my father in a trance and he would race around town to find any store open at that hour and buy his little girl a snickers. This of course frustrated all my older siblings and my mother but they just hadn't mastered the cute voice, eyelash batting, and the art of sticking out the bottom lip to win over a daddy's heart like I had. These Snickers cravings happened very often and they were more like a pregnancy craving, I HAD to have one. The type of candy never changed, it was always, always a Snickers. After a while of sending my Daddy out in the middle of the night, he tried to get smart and buy them and bulk and store them in the house. I would sniff them out like a hound dog. I remember his two favorite hiding spots: the top shelf of the pantry where most little girls would never reach and the second drawer in his dresser where he kept his undershirts. I don't remember when I finally grew out of the cravings but I know it continued for well past a year.

After Rob and I told my parents we were expecting we were sitting around the table chatting about various things when my father burst into a loud belly laugh. We all looked at him like he was insane until he finally caught his breath for a moment to say to Rob, "good luck". He finally clarified his wishes by adding good luck with the cravings as he had remembered the Snickers from my childhood. In preparation for this, Rob thought he would out-smart me and purchase a box of fun size snickers ice cream bars. Although I did enjoy a few, I must say Rob ate the majority of them. Now that they are gone, I have no thoughts of them returning. Mainly after seeing the lack of nutrition they can provide. They do contain protein!

No comments:

Post a Comment