Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's the game we play and I hate that game...

I believe showers are God's gift to me for not strangling little Susie's parents when they complain she didn't get enough playing time on the soccer field. (Susie's real name has been changed to protect her guilty parents.) Showers are my 'me' time. I don't want to be bothered as it is a sacred time of day. Lately that sacred time has been interrupted by a beautiful princess. She plans it perfectly so as soon as the scorching hot water hits my hair, she screams murder. It is a game we play and I should add I hate that game. Today was a rainy day filled with pajamas, cuddling, cleaning and like all other days- being covered in bodily fluids from an infant. So when the darling Husband walked in offering to cook dinner I was thrilled. Hailey was asleep in her pack and play and Husband started dinner. I ran off to God's gift- the shower and that is where it all started...

I turned the water to the normal level of burn the hell out of your skin. As I stood there washing my hair I realized I had just done something tragic. I left the Husband to cook dinner AND take care of Hailey. As my mind started to wander I felt the water getting cooler than burning hell, this seemed to take the back burner as I pictured Husband trying to deal with both things. He is an absolute wonderful Dad but I wasn't sure he could multi-task yet. What would happen if the baby started to cry and he held her while he was cooking? Wow, the water is getting colder. Would he dare try and hold her while handling boiling hot water? I started washing my hair faster. What about the dogs? What if they ran out and he was cooking and the baby was crying? Good gracious why is the water getting colder?! I am shaving my legs faster than ever. As blood is pouring down from the rapid shaving and I am screaming at the decreasing temperature of the water I started thinking what if there was a grease fire and Hailey was crying?! Damn it, this water is freezing! Why on earth would I decide to shower and leave my husband to all that responsibility? I barely finished washing the conditioner out of my hair when I slammed off the freezing water and ran out of the bathroom barely dry enough to not bust my butt on the hardwood floors only to find my lovely husband with dinner on the table and the baby still fast asleep. There was no grease fire, no cooking disasters, no runaway dogs, and most importantly no crying baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment